Full Time | Group Benefits | Profit Sharing
The Learning Bar is looking for a Director, Software Development who can support our goals for growth over the next 3-5 years. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), you will direct and oversee the software engineering function, including product operations, product management, and staffing. This position will ideally be filled by an individual with a broadly-based background in development and technology; someone with experience delivering large-scale software projects. If your previous experience aligns to our needs, and have a computer science background, we would love to hear from you.
About the Role
Your key contributions in the first year will include:
- Leading and managing the development team members, including working with the Manager of HR to establish a routine of consistent review and feedback
- Establishing and solidifying our Agile software methodology
- Building effective working relationships with the teams responsible for product management, and establishing (and maintaining) a ‘dev-ops’ culture
On-going, your key responsibilities will include:
Product Development Planning and Oversight
- Work with the team to deliver and support the organization’s product deliverables, as well as contributing to the plan for the company’s overall mission and vision. This will require the development of and tracking against high level schedules and release plans.
- Screen and enhance existing platforms and/or implement new development platforms when feasible in order meet the needs of our customers and clients.
- Sprint Planning and Management
- Sprint tracking
- Daily Scrums
Product Development Requirements Management
- Document, develop and maintain corporate technology roadmaps and systems designs for new applications, including a detailed plan to achieve the Release Plan.
- Management of product backlogs for both new development and maintenance/support activities
- Management of QA process and defects
- Short-, medium- and long-term staffing plans to support Release Plans and company Strategic Plan.
- Create a working environment that both challenges and empowers technically savvy staff to consistently perform their tasks to the utmost of their abilities, to attain their goals, to continuously learn, and to be recognized as leaders in their field.
- Ensure continuous direction, performance management, and developmental support to the team.
- You have at least 5 years experience leading Scrum or other agile development model.
- You are a master of “getting things done” (while not breaking the process too badly).
- You offer an education in Computer Science, Engineering, and/or quantitative sciences.
- You have Scrum Master training / certification and/or PMP Certification.
- Most of your experience was obtained in a Product – Oriented company.
- You might speak other languages, but you are a master at English speaking, reading, and writing.
- You keep up to date with the latest trends in the realm of IT and develop ideas and tools that address current or future client needs.
- A natural problem-solver, you have stories to tell about your full SDLC experience.
- You have previously managed people (and can provide at least one reference who will confirm your coaching and mentorship skills).
- Organized and analytical by nature, you have managed multiple teams / projects simultaneously. Your deliverables are always on schedule.
- People will say you are an effective and collaborative leader.
- You have experience with Jira, Confluence, BitBucket, etc.
The Learning Bar is an education research company and Canada’s largest provider of online student assessment and school improvement tools. Our evaluation tools are designed using in-house research expertise to provide educators with the actionable insight they need to enhance student success and school climate. Our goal is to give all children the opportunity to thrive and we embody this in everything we do.
Our staff at headquarters in Fredericton has tripled in size in the past three years and there is no sign of slowing down.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to Shaun McBride at email@example.com no later than Monday, May 14, 2018.
We will treat any inquiry or resume received as confidential, and will only be contacting applicants to schedule an interview.